Do you have a mailing list? When was the last time you had a look at how profitable the list is for you and made sure everything was up to date?
You’re likely one of the many people who’ve set up their list, got busy, and then forgot about it for a while. There are many things you can do right now to start making more money with your mailing list.
1. List Checkup – Go through every single message you have in your autoresponder series. This may take you a while to get through if you have a lot of messages set up, but it’s worth it.
Recently I switched my website format over to a wordpress site and deleted a lot of the pages from the other design. I had my autoresponder setup to refer to articles on my older site and with the update these were out of date and needed fixing, so I had to go back in and change the links. If your series of messages are too long and it’s just too much to handle by yourself hire a VA to help.
2. Opt-in Location – Do people know about your list? Don’t assume everyone will find you because you have an opt-in box in one or two locations on your website.
When setting up your list and describing it you’ll want to make sure that you deliver exactly what you offer then and beyond. A bullet-point list works well to let people know what your list offers without requiring too much of their attention to get them to read.
Many people make their list stand out by offering up a free ebook or report for signing up to the list. Other ideas are offer up an audio or a video. Whatever you offer make sure it is of high valuable and something that makes signing up for your list irresistible.
3. Add landing pages – You should be using double opt-ins to make sure your list has really requested to sign up. After the initial sign-up you will be able to direct them to a landing page. Make sure that landing page they come to grabs their attention and tells them to confirm, you could use something like this:
IMPORTANT: Please check your email inbox and confirm your subscription so that we can send you the information you requested.
Use that landing page to make an offer on your own product or offer an affiliate product. Or if you have a service based-business and want them to get to know you better then direct them to your articles page.
Once they confirm in their email you will be given another opportunity to create a specific landing page. Use that page to make another offer, or lead them to your website to read more information or articles.
You’ve got people’s attention once they get to your landing page and they HAVE to go somewhere once they’re done – it might as well be somewhere you can suggest to them so that you benefit from it.
4. Promote – Think of the places where you promote your list. Is it just in one little box on your website? There are many other places that you should be using to promote your mailing list.
Write articles that you submit to directories that have a bio leading to your opt-in page.
Make a special offer in your signature on forums (if they allow it)
Add a signature to your emails that tells people why they need to sign up for your list
Blog about your list and why they should join it
5. Contact as often as possible – You’ve heard this before but it’s time for a reminder. If your prospects don’t hear from you on a regular basis then they will forget about you and why the signed up in the first place.
How often you contact them will depend on what your list is about but it’s often said that you must be making contact at least once a month if you want to be remembered. Many topics will require you to contact your list once a week and this is perfectly acceptable to them because they asked for this information.